Monday, August 1, 2011

Teen Spirit.....or 2-year-old Spirit!

Wow....I am fairly certain that I have had my fair share of 2-year-olds and 2-year-old attitudes for like the next, I don't know, CENTURY!!!!! I know, I know, it will get worse- "Wait until he turns three, wait until he turns four, wait until he is a teenager, wait until he is 21!" I have heard all of these comments over and over and over!!! The honest truth is, however, I can wait. I will happily wait for those milestones because I don't want my baby to grow up. I don't want my baby to grow older and mature and no longer be just that, my baby!! Kind of odd that I am complaining about his attitude, yet not wishing for age to come quickly or maturity for that fact. Poor Curt, this is what he lives with....a wife and mother that is completely indecisive about life at times.

We had a very busy weekend, well, it has been an extremely busy 2 months!!! I still remember my summer off from school when I was pregnant with Cole. I had such horrible anxiety and fear and that summer felt like it would never end. I remember worrying that I would be stuck at home with my children and never having anything to do. I wouldn't ever be able to be an adult again. I will be honest, I LAUGH whenever I remember those thoughts and feelings. What was I thinking????? I was insane to waste my time worrying about that because, well, it never did happen. We are on the run constantly and this has been our busiest summer yet!!

We took both boys (along with a good majority of my family) to the Brewers game on Friday night. It was both mine and Curt's first experience at Miller Park. What a beautiful stadium it really is. Cole did "ok" for not having a nap and for having to drive to Milwaukee before hand. The night in the hotel wasn't the best overnight we have had, but we survived thanks to my boobs abilities to keep Oliver content and quiet for sometime. (Don't worry, I am not shy about hanging my boobs out for Oli or for talking about them- its a natural thing!!)

On Saturday, we came home and then had a pool party over at my brother and sister-in-law's house. We had a fab time and Curt and I were actually able to be somewhat like adults and have fun too!! We did a movie outside and enjoyed some nummy s'mores!! Sunday was supposed to be our rest and relaxation day, but we ended up needing to go to Rochester to pick up some fresh peaches from down south (Mmmm, makes my mouth water just thinking about it) and then we made 2 pit stops at the Hu Hot (Mmmm, again) and Trader Joe's. We did, however, end the weekend on a very quiet, relaxing note.

Today, I had my follow-up with my regular doctor for my gallbladder attack that I had last Wednesday. It appears as though surgery will be in my future, but I will learn more next week after the ultrasound and visit with the surgeon. I brought both boys with me to the doctor and let me tell you, that was a treat!!! Please note, there is A LOT of sarcasm built into that last sentence. I came prepared. I boobed Oli beforehand, I brought snacks for Cole, and it was to be a very short visit. Let me tell you, there was not enough preparation in this world for me to entertain and stop the 2-year-old attitude that has surrounded my little Cole. WOW!!!! I chased him up and down halls, I watched him chuck his bag of dried bananas across the room several times, and then I walked with a screaming Cole all the way back to the truck. Oli, however, was a smiling little gentleman the entire time. Cole's temper tantrums have continued throughout the day and ultimately ended in temper tantruming (like my made up word??) himself to sleep in his crib. We will just have to see what after nap will bring....I am hoping for a pleasant surprise and not just another tantrum. I am almost 100% positive that the people around me at the clinic thought I was nuts when I sat Oli down, put the diaper bag down, and plop went Cole on a timeout. I spoke to him, at his level, and used words like "happy, sad, make better choices, and mommy loves you, but the tantrum needs to stop." I am sure they loved the bag of dried bananas getting chucked across the room. Sometimes, I just want to make eye contact with the people watching me and say, give him a target, he has a great arm!!! Oye!!!!

In the end, though, I can't wish another day to go by because my babies are growing older and I am not sure how I will handle the business of "empty nesting" someday. I do, however, cherish my nap times and quiet in the house. Speaking of quiet, however, my time is officially over as I now hear Oli wrestling around in his crib. Damn him!!!

Here's to hopefully a calmer week and maybe even a happier, more cooperative Cole. I know, I know, like my mom always says, "What comes around goes around, I had it coming to me after what I was like as a child for my parents." Here's to a calm, serene, and peaceful week....oh boy!!

Love always,

The hopeful Mama Bear!!

No comments:

Post a Comment